Saturday, October 9, 2010

Getting ready to leave the states

Right now I'm supposed to be cleaning my apartment. However, I have decided that blogging is an excellent procrastination tool. So I will update you all the way until the point that I left the States. It'll help me, too, since today is the first day that I'm feeling a little homesick. Mostly I miss the way that the air smells a little like salt at Bowdoin on a cool fall day. Today in Salzburg is just like one of those days, except that it smells more like river and cows than like ocean (strange, I know).

Before I left the States, Mom flew up to collect me from Massachusetts. I packed all of my things into my car (entirely by myself, I might add) the morning that Mom flew in. Dan had gone to class, so we said goodbye, knowing that we'd see each other again in a week. Actually, I'm making it sound much more glamorous than it was. Really, my things were everywhere and I was a tearful mess. Dan is much less emotional and said something like 'there's no crying in baseball' (a.k.a. 'suck it up, we're seeing each other in a week') before he left. He meant it in a loving way.

After packing my car and finding the correct terminal in Boston Logan Airport, Mom and I headed up to Rockport. We stopped in Gloucester for some food, and wandered around to look into the store that bought Aunt Donna's jewelry. I felt so cool saying 'it's okay, I know the artist'. We then spent the following two days enjoying the beach from our prime location in the Captain's Bounty Inn, which is right on the water.

Donna's jewelry in the Black Swan. The pieces are going for $60-$100-plus!
Mom enjoying her first breath of ocean air from our hotel balcony
Tomatoes on the beach? They were quite tasty!
We think this might be the house of someone for whom I used to babysit. Maybe I should get back in touch with them?
Mom walking the beach
Butterfly!
More of Mom enjoying the beach (notice any patterns here?)
I told Mom she was smiling funny for the camera, so instead she made this face
The two of us with out lobsters
Tasty little sucker
The sunset over the bay where we ate our lobsters


My car, all loaded and ready to go
Our hotel's mascot

I unfortunately don't have any pictures of our time in Hudson, but we did stop there on our long journey back west and had a lovely picnic dinner at the beach after exploring an art show.

My time back in St. Louis was less pleasurable. Mostly because I discovered that I had TWELVE cavities. Twelve. One in each of my molars. Luckily the dentist could take care of all of them before I left. Unfortunately it was not particularly pleasant, and made for quite a few entertaining moments when I dribbled food out of my swollen mouth. We did, however, squeeze in a visit to the wineries in Augusta. It was a gorgeous, hot day - the kind I'll be wishing for in a few weeks. We hit two wineries there, one for a wine tasting and one for a dinner of cheese, bread, salami, and more wine.

Then, when all of my packing was done (though I guess it wasn't really - I seem to have forgotten a few things) I flew back to Boston for my last three days with Dan before the big Salzburg adventure.

The 'spread' at our winery
Parents!
Augusta, Missouri is quite pretty
Dad started dancing and embarrassing Mom
Sweet moves, Dad
Necklace made of wine corks.
Mom and Dad dancing with each other
Such a good picture

No comments:

Post a Comment