Friday, April 1, 2011

Skiing in Zell am See

The sign for Zell am See
Being the way that I am - unable to sit still for long - I couldn't let a weekend go by where I didn't have a new adventure.  Between February break and Mom and Donna's visit, I headed out to Zell am See to go skiing.  It was actually Maija's idea, and I'm glad she suggested it!  Maija and I ski at about the same level.  We're both a little afraid of the steep challenging stuff, though (at this point at least) we're both fairly capable skiers.  Annabel and Maria, two of the other assistants, came with us.  We lucked out with a gorgeous day: blue skies, mild temperatures, and good snow at the top of the mountain.  All in all, it was an awesome day!

Maija, Annabel and Maria in Zell am See
Maija and Annie on the way up in the gondola
And the other side of the gondola: Maria and I
Safety first!
Our first sight at the top of the mountain: a wedding. 
Ready to go!

Gorgeous mountains
Maria became an expert quickly
Maija
Maria in action
Maija, me and Maria
Lunch break at the top of the mountain
I refused to take my helmet off due to an awful case of helmet-hair
Maria and Maija are unfazed by the helmets
Gorgeous


So excited to be skiing!

Skiing: a self portrait.  My excitement looks a little more like pain than anything else here.
Self-portrait take two
A little too much apres-ski at the top of the mountain?
View from the top
Our only group photo: Maria, Annie, me and Maija
More views from the top



The town of Zell am See from above.  The line in the middle of the lake is actually a hiking path.  Apparently the thing to do in winter is hike around on the lake, though I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't feel comfortable doing so no matter how frozen the lake was!

No comments:

Post a Comment