Wednesday, May 4, 2011

End of Mom and Donna's visit, beginning of Dan's

Me, still sick, and Maija. From Donna's camera

 Before I launch into more of everything that happened two months ago, I need to update about something very present - I have been accepted back for a second year!!  This means that I will be staying in Salzburg next year, teaching in two of my three current schools.  I am keeping my two Catholic boys' schools, and have traded the public technical school for an evening/adult school.  I had hoped to be in just two schools, but the Austrian Ministry had other plans.  Oh well.  I'm excited to have it all figured out, though now the newest things that have been added to my to-do list are: find a summer job that will take me for two months, and figure out housing.  There's always something!

 After calling in sick for Friday, I let Mom and Donna wander Salzburg for a little on their own while I tried to sleep it off.  The last thing I wanted was to get sicker with the end of their visit approaching, followed by Dan's visit and my ski week!  Though my fever subsided, the head cold seemed to get worse.  I'm not exactly sure how one person can produce so much snot!!  Gross.  And though this kept us from having dinner with Martina (my roommate) as we'd hoped, we did still sit around for a little while talking on Thursday night, and I did manage to make it to Kaffee und Kuchen (coffee and cake) with Mom, Donna and Maija at the infamous cafe Thomaselli.  Thomaselli is the oldest cafe in Salzburg, and they do it right.  The waiters/waitresses are all dressed in their high-necked, old fashioned uniforms, and they wander around with a massive selection of desserts to chose from.  They're even kind of snooty. It's the full package! I'm glad Mom and Donna got to meet Maija, since she is one of the people I've spent the most time with.

Post Kaffee und Kuchen, we packed our things and caught an early evening train to Munich.  The train journey was uneventful, though we did have a rather chatty train worker talking to us about his American experience for a lot of the time.  In Munich we went to bed fairly early, since I had to get up at some unreasonable hour to pick Dan up from the airport.

Dan arrived with all of his luggage after a routine (though long) flight.  We dropped his stuff off at the hotel and met up with Donna and Mom, whereupon we had a rather uncomfortable experience involving one of the many erotic shops that surround the train station.  Ask Donna.  At some point, we found the Biergarten in the middle of Munich and stopped for a beer and a bite to eat.  Dan, tired and full of Bavarian beer, crashed and had to be taken back to the hotel.  I then rejoined Mom and Donna for the rest of their Munich experience, complete with a Hofbräuhaus visit - Munich wouldn't be Munich without a visit to one of the major Bierhauses.  The next morning we got up at ungodly o'clock (again) to get Donna to the airport for her early flight, and to get Mom there plenty early for her midday flight.  There were hugs and there were tears, but it was a trip full of good memories (and lots of tissues).





Munich! Donna's camera
A very jet-lagged Dan and a very sick Keri, still excited to see each other.  Donna's picture.
Ah, the infamous glockenspiel.  You will never believe that Pat told me he wants to see this AGAIN.  Wasn't he the one who declared it the most disappointing tourist attraction ever? Donna's picture.
Biergarten. Donna's picture.
Sick? Jet-lagged? Have a beer - the Bavarian solution.  Donna's picture.
Tons of police in the Munich train station, preparing for riots between the Hamburg and Munich soccer fans.
I love Hofbräuhaus' dark beer.
Prost! Except they're not making eye contact.  Bad news bears.
Pork knuckle, a la Chris 2009
Mom digging in
Donna and her good Bavarian dinner

 
Mommy enjoying my beer
Wood pile for Donna, taken on the way back to Salzburg.

No comments:

Post a Comment