Tuesday, October 5, 2010

First Day of School!

Oh dear. So I know that according to the blog I'm still in the US. Clearly I'm a little slow on updating. In actuality, today was my first day of classes in my primary school. The day was quite an adventure. So far, what has happened is this:

- Nobody has been able to get a hold of my third school, the Archbishop's all-boys Catholic school. Even my teachers have tried to help me out, to no avail. Unfortunately, this means that I don't have an official schedule yet. I'm going to head over there tomorrow to try and contact somebody, but I can't promise anything. If that's the case, I'll just spend two weeks in my main school and one in the other (or something like that).

- I managed to snot on myself. I have a godawful head cold, and someone said something funny enough to make me laugh...and I am pretty sure I blew a snot bubble. Great way to start.

- The same class then asked me if I have a boyfriend, so maybe it didn't really phase them. Or maybe they were just surprised that I, in all of my snot-blowing glory, could attract and keep a man.

- The teachers' lounge is absolutely full, and each of the teachers has their own assigned seat. This means that I do not have a regular seat, since there just isn't enough space. To compensate, one of my teachers gave me a temporary chair, and naturally, she put this chair between the two 'hot' male teachers. On purpose. It's pretty funny, actually, but I'm still a little nervous about it.

- In my last class of the day, a pigeon flew into the closed window. It was just a little shocking because it was so loud.

Those were really the only incidents (thank God). I was also incredibly unprepared for the vast difference in English knowledge that the kids have. Of my four classes today, the first was by far the worst. The kids are between the ages of 16 and 20, and most of them have failed a grade or two. They're essentially sophomores, but leave the school after this year to pursue jobs rather than go to college. Mostly, though, they're just shy and disinterested. The second class was the best - they're the oldest, know the most English, and have the fewest kids in the class. I'm actually excited about them because we'll get into some interesting topics. Class number three was 14/15 years old and super insecure. Nobody wanted to talk. And the fourth was the same age but more rambunctious - all of them wanted to talk at once. One of the 15 year old boys (who hasn't hit puberty yet) told me he loved me.

From this experience, I have decided a few things. First, that teaching is much harder than it looks. Second, teenagers are tough. I knew this already, but today has thoroughly reinforced it. Third, if I ever become a teacher I would probably not want to teach middle school.

Oh well. Back to lesson planning, since now I know what I'm doing (sort of). I'll update more soon, but for now, enjoy this 'teaser' picture of Salzburg.

Fireworks over the fortress in celebration of St. Rupert  the patron saint of Salzburg

No comments:

Post a Comment