Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Oktoberfest



One of the many 10Euro beers of Oktoberfest

Oh, Oktoberfest. What an adventure. Everything is totally out of order because of how long it takes to upload posts with tons of photos, but that's how it goes. Time-wise, this post should be directly after my post about leaving the US, so please just imagine that it's there.

My flight to Munich got off to a slow start. I had to pay an extra $50 for my bag because, though I'd booked the flight through US Air, the flight was operated by Lufthansa and therefore I had to abide by the Lufthansa rules and regulations, which state that I can only have one piece of luggage. Yeah right. The security guy, thinking he was funny, asked "how long are you going for, anyway?" When I responded one to two years, he shut up pretty quickly. After making it through security, I discovered that my flight had been delayed by two hours. And I was already two hours early. So I found myself some food and a nice corner with a book, and waited.

The flight itself went off without a hitch. I took two Tylenol PMs and passed out for most of the 7 hour flight, which really helped me avoid jet lag and made it so that I could head immediately to Oktoberfest when I landed, though with a few detours first. I stopped by the hostel to try and shower, change and unload my things. But when I got there, things were a mess. The hostel was clearly overwhelmed with tourists enjoying the party, and the women who worked there looked like they needed a break. I tried to check in, but they told me I couldn't until 3. And then they handed me two keys. To two separate rooms. Even though I had booked two beds in the same room (one for me and one for my friend Al). Hmm. I couldn't be bothered to deal with it, and the woman had clearly exhausted her compromise abilities on the loud Australians in line in front of me, so instead I took my luggage to the storage lockers, locked myself in the girls bathroom and tried to look less like I'd just spent 4 hours in an airport and 7 hours sleeping sitting up. Then I met Al at the train station.

Al (Alexandra, but Al for short) is one of my friends from Bowdoin, and actually a former roommate of mine. She happened to be traveling around Europe, and we decided to meet in Munich for the 'fest. Thank goodness. Oktoberfest is one of those things that you're glad you've been to and remember fondly as a crazy and slightly stressful time. These feelings were probably exacerbated by the fact that I was a little tired from traveling, and a little anxious about Salzburg and my impending adventure. But I think I would have had a lot less fun had I gone by myself.

Together, Al and I got our rooms straightened out. Another lady helped us switch into a 6 bed female dorm for the first night, and a 6 bed mixed dorm for the second (as well she should have, since that's what we'd paid for). And when we could finally get into our rooms at 3, we dropped our things and headed out for a beer. A 10Euro beer, to be exact. And plenty of wurst.

Oktoberfest was nothing like what I'd expected. Well, that's a lie. There were certainly plenty of dirndls and lederhosen, drunk tourists, drunk Germans, and pretzels. But you can't wander around with a beer in your hand - you have to order one and finish it in a tent or in the biergarten outside of the tent. It's not in a field, but on a giant concrete area in the middle of nowhere. And I was definitely unprepared for the amount of rides that are there. So. Many. Rides. So many drunken tourists, too. And so much fun.

Kaci joined us the second day. Kaci and I wore our dirndls, and Al bought an awesome hat, and crazy tourists would try to take pictures with us (even after we'd told them we were American). We - mostly Al - got assaulted by a drunken Frenchman who'd lost his friends in the tent; we were unable to get beers inside of a tent but got plenty in the biergarten outside; we sang, we got inappropriately jostled, and we left totally Oktoberfested-out. Whereupon a drunken Australian boy from our mixed dorm room tried to climb into bed with me. When I asked what he thought he was doing, he responded with, "Well do you want me to join you or not?" What?? NO! Then he proceeded to climb into his own bunk and snore loudly the entire night. Really funny in retrospect, really annoying at the time.

The next day we did not return to the 'fest. Instead, Kaci met up with friends from Fulbright, and Al and I headed down to Salzburg - my new home.

Paulaner Beer Tent (yes, that's a tent)

The inside of the Paulaner beer tent, complete with Oompah band. Later people would be standing, dancing and singing on the tables.

First beer of Oktoberfest, fresh off the plane

Al and her first beer

GIANT pretzel


Cheers!

Trying on hats

Yet another beer tent. This one had a rotating pig on a spit.

That's more like it. This is what the inside of so many tents looked like - lederhosen and dirndl-filled debauchery


I had no idea how many rides were going to be at Oktoberfest


We rode this


Al, taking pictures from the ferris wheel

The sunset from the inside of the wheel

Oktoberfest from above

Us in the ferris wheel

More of Oktoberfest from above

Rides

More rides

So many gingerbread hearts! I'm still not entirely sure if eating them is a good idea...

We rode this the next day

Oh Munich, how I've missed you

Reunited with Kaci at Oktoberfest! We're both wearing our dirndls

Al eating weißwurst, and being totally grossed out by the texture. It is a little phallic...

Al and Kaci

Al, totally nervous about the fact that we were going on the tallest ride at Oktoberfest

Kaci took pictures of us from below

The ride!

The view!

Totally pissed that I made her go on the ride

Trying on Oktoberfest hats! Photo credit goes to Kaci

Obligatory photo

Obligatory photo x2

In front of the Hofbräu beer cart


The official Oktoberfest poster

More ridiculous beer tent sculptures. This one had smoke coming out of it

Too much partying at Oktoberfest?

Polar bears, and a prime example of Bayerish german (if it were normal german, it would say 'ich mag dich')

My favorite shirt. It says 'I hug my boyfriend'. I love it when things get lost in translation

No comments:

Post a Comment