Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Deutsch is wie ein Legospiel (German is like a lego game) - Dan visits part 2

Another view of my room. The poor plant on the floor is dying, and I was trying to give it some sunlight.

While Dan was here I continued going to class (most days). We learned the longest word in the German language: Donaudamphschiffahrtsgeschellschaftskapitansmütze. It is a very, very specific kind of hat worn by a ship captain. Our teacher explained to us that it is a very logical word - each part is like a building block, or lego game. I still think it's a little ridiculous. We also learned words like a 'Katzensprung' or cat's jump, usually used to explain that something is just a cat's jump away (like a stone's-throw away in English).

We also got to go to the museum of modern art. It was interesting, though I don't have a very great appreciation of modern art.

I also acquired a job at an Irish pub! It's hard work, but I'm excited about it. I'm only working 2 nights a week, for about 4 hours at a time, at 6.50 per hour plus tips. Germans do not tip very well at all. But, the job gives me a home base that's not in IES, and makes me use my German constantly. Most of the time I can get by with what I know and a good smile. Occastionally, though, a Swiss group will come in that I can't understand. A few days ago some Russian teenagers came in with strong accents, too. But for the most part, I can figure it out with some pointing and simple words. The pub itself is pretty fun, and there is always something happening. Tonight, for example, is Karaoke night. The Americans in town love it, while the Germans are pretty fond of Thursday's line dancing. Dan came with me to my first night at work last Wednesday, and sat at the bar until my friends showed up for support. It was wonderful, though I got teased pretty heavily for having to bring my boyfriend to my first night on the job. I'm glad he came, though.

Modern Art

My class at the museum. The lady on the far right is my teacher Bettine.

My favorite piece of art in the museum. It's a painting of Freiburg from the top of one of the old gates. I wish they had copies of this that I could hang in my room.

No comments:

Post a Comment