Saturday, June 20, 2009

My life has been fairly entertaining for the past few days

In the past few days, I managed to:

1. Accidentally get caught in the middle of a demonstration, twice. The students were demonstrating against paying 500 euro per semester for college. But really, everyone pays for the students through taxes (even if you have not gone and will not be going to college). And because students currently don't have to pay, some of them take as long as they want to finish their studies, which means the state might pay for them to goof off for 6 years. (Can you tell that I think this is a little silly?)

2. Miss my tram because it was physically too full for me to get on. There were people literally squished against the windows, because the places were all taken. Including the places in the aisles, on the stairs, etc. So I walked to school.

3. Get stuck without a seat on a bus driving back from a wine festival in a neighboring town. We sat on the steps, which was alright until the bus driver forgot to close the door at a stop, and drove on the autobahn with it open and us literally inches from the door. It was terrifying and secretly thrilling. The rest of the passengers were incredibly concerned that we would fall out and die, but we didn't. The bus driver was incredibly apologetic.

4. Have my bike stolen. But, after half an hour of panic, one phone call home, and mentally preparing myself to go out and buy a cheap klunker bike, I decided to sweep the area one last time. Whereupon I found my bike, still locked, about a hundred meters away from my dorm. Someone had tried to ride it off, not realizing that the lock was through the tire. They got to the end of the street before completely tangling the lock in the tire, and knocking the chain and kickstand off. I found it, put the chain back on (which left me with beautifully stained hands before I went off to work), and locked it properly to a bike rack. Lesson learned: always lock your bike to something.

5. Be mistaken for a Dane. Because clearly, having an accent and being blonde makes you Danish. The lady didn't know what I was asking for (a swimsuit, but I didn't know the word so I asked for 'swimming clothes'), and told me to say the word in Danish. I told her I didn't know Danish, and she was surprised. But then she said (in German) 'so are there a lot of blondes in the US?' At least I don't sound American!

No comments:

Post a Comment