Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Gee, you look tired today

Though I have now lived here for almost two years, there are some things that I am not yet used to.  Many of these have to do with manners - Austrians and Americans have a different idea of what is polite.

 Let me start by saying that I in no way mean to offend anyone.  These are my observations, and they are generalizations.  They are things I have witnessed and had to come to terms with while here. 

The reason for this post is that yesterday I was told by multiple people that I looked tired.  I must have looked really awful; however I feel that at home, the people you work with would generally refrain from coming up to you and commenting on how tired your eyes look.  That's the job of your close friends and relatives.  But here, it seems that it's just a way of making small talk.

Austrians and Americans do have a different idea of what constitutes acceptable small talk.  Americans will ask "how are you?" as a way of being polite; Austrians will give you an honest answer.  A fine example is this excerpt from an actual conversation with a teacher:
"How are you today?"
"Fine, thanks! You?"
"Actually not too good, I've got a bad case of diarrhea."
 ".............."
My poor American mind didn't (and still does not) know what to do with so much information.  I would generally say that my stomach is "off" or upset or something.  Bowel movements are, again, restricted to conversations with your close friends and relatives (and even then it's a little much sometimes).

One thing I only recently mastered was the fact that, here in Salzburg, it is essential to greet the room when you walk in.  In the teachers' lounge you need to say hello.  This is perhaps not that different from home.  However, what is different is that you do the same when walking into a store.  I have finally committed to saying "Grüß Gott!" when I enter a store, and saying goodbye when I leave.

What I have not yet mastered, however, is doing the same when I enter and leave the locker room at the gym.  Fully clothed, I have no problems with greeting everyone.  Greeting a room full of half naked women that I have never met is a different story.  But that's the way it's done, so I try my best even though I find it horribly uncomfortable. 

This topic of what differs between Austria and America will, I'm sure, be very present in my blogs as I come to terms with the fact that I will be leaving very soon.  For now, if you're interested in more differences between small talk styles, read this article on the differences between British and German small talk.  I know, it's not the same as America and Austria, but much of it still applies.

No comments:

Post a Comment