Monday, July 2, 2012

Reverse Culture Shock

I am, as always, incredibly behind on my blog.  Blog-wise, I'm still in fall of year two; in real life I have completed my second year and have returned home to figure out the next step.  I am slowly coming to terms with the fact that I am now officially back in the US for the foreseeable future.  This means, among other things, answering plenty of well-meaning questions like "so what are your next plans?" and "when (if ever) will you be going back?"  These questions are often followed by "what's it like being back?" and "how is it different in Europe?"

Truthfully, the second set of questions cannot be answered in a blog entry or an extended conversation.  It would take a lifetime to explain how it's different, and another for me to put words to what it's like being back.  Naturally, it's nice being home.  But there are some things I will miss.  I will miss the mountains, the people I have come to know and love, the ease of travel, and the sense of adventure in the most mundane things like attempting to find molasses in a grocery store (which I did, thank you very much).  But I think I will miss the pace of life the most.

Last year when I got home over the summer, I remember looking around in Chicago O'Hare at everyone stressing in the security line, checking cell phones and making work calls.  I remember being shocked.

Today I read this article called "The 'Busy' Trap," which depicts the sentiment I want to express better than I can.  In German there are two words for busy that essentially mean "industrious" (fleissig) versus "occupied" (beschäftigt).  We Americans like to be occupied; we find things to fill our day and rush from one thing to the next to check each off our list.  In Salzburg I rarely ever felt the need to do this.  I was often industrious, but I was rarely ever occupied solely for the sake of doing something.  When I was occupied, it was with things that I enjoyed like hiking or spending time with friends, or even just sitting by the river.  I'm not sure I've ever read so many books in my entire life.

Like I said, I can't really answer what it's like to be back without writing a novel.  But read the article.  It portrays much of what I'm feeling and coming to terms with in this re-acclimation phase.

2 comments:

  1. Keri,

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts and the link to the New York Times article. That really struck a chord with me. It's so true that the Americans are so high-strung…but with no real reason! We put pressure on ourselves to constantly stay busy and to "feel" like we're being productive. I admit that even when I'm in Costa Rica (which feels like my 2nd home), I often feel that I need to be working. Although I'm much more relaxed here than in the U.S., I feel it's something that I just grew up with…a sense that you must being doing something.

    For those who have traveled to places where people actually enjoy quiet moments and a slower pace of life, it's incredibly difficult to adjust back into the American way.

    I wish you the best of luck with your transition. Feel free to check out my digital magazine, Native Foreigner, which deals with reverse culture shock.

    Sincerely,
    Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lindsay,

    Thank you for your kind words about my post! I'm delighted to have found your magazine - what a fabulous idea! I'm glad to know there are others out there who feel similarly about the transition back to the American pace of life!

    Sincerely,
    Keri

    ReplyDelete