Friday, August 20, 2010

Almost graduated

Mom and me, sitting in Frontier. Papa took this picture

Graduation was on a Saturday, but Mom and Papa flew in on that Tuesday, followed by Chris and Dad on Thursday and Rich on Friday. Chris had quite the time getting up to Maine. His flight to Portland was canceled, and he was stuck in his connecting airport (LaGuardia, I think?). Chris is not the best traveler to begin with. Throw a curveball like a canceled flight, and he starts stressing badly. Luckily, there was a flight into Boston and, luckily, my friend Ashley was already on her way down to Boston to get her mother. Bless her heart, she picked up my darling brother on her way.

Anyway, like the rest of senior week, my time with the family was a whirlwind.
The day that Mom and Papa arrived, we spent some time in Freeport. Papa mostly sat and waited for us while we had Mom/daughter/outlet shopping time, but that's really nothing new. Then the weather turned a little chilly, so we headed out to Cook's Lobster House. There, Papa and Mom enjoyed fried clams while I ate fish and chips and was nervous about senior week, packing, and graduation. That night we parted ways.

Oh, I almost forgot. I got my hair cut right before Mom and Papa arrived, but was so stressed that I completely forgot to pull the parking break up in my standard transmission car...which allowed it to run backwards down a tiny hill into a tree. We do dumb things when we're stressed, don't we? And by "we" I mean me...

I can't for the life of me remember anything about Wednesday or Thursday. I think we went back to Freeport with Dad on Thursday, but I'm not sure. We definitely had a garlicky dinner at Scarlet Begonias (a local favorite) where we met up with Ashley and Chris. Then on Friday, the whole fam met up at Big Top for a delicious lunch of sandwiches, followed by a meet-and-greet with the German dept.

Friday night was the Lobster Bake - Bowdoin buys thousands of dollars worth of lobster, steak, chicken and veggies for the friends and families of the graduates. Afterwards, Chris, Mom and I went to Ashley and Maxine's graduation party before parting ways for the last time before Commencement the next morning.


Papa enjoying clams at Cook's Lobster House on Bailey Island
Chris in the hotel
The fam at Big Top

Hawthorne's old room in Winthrop, one of the first-year dorms.
Ahh, Bowdoin in the spring. This is one of the entrances to the Union.
Poster of scholarship recipients. Mine is the blurb/photo on the top left
Polar bear
The food tent, pre- lobster bake

Chris tackles his lobster






The only picture in the history of anything where Rich and my dad look like brothers.
Cheers!
Daddy, using a steak knife on his lobster.



Mom and Chris, sword fighting in my dorm

Chris lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment